The Preparing to Parent Programme is a group based programme that aims to support you in preparing for your baby’s arrival. The transition to parenthood is a major life event. Becoming a parent for the first time involves moving from a known current reality to an unknown new reality. This programme aims to increase awareness around the social and emotional aspects of pregnancy and addresses the reality of life in the months prior and post birth. It does this by exploring the concept of parenthood and its impact on identity, role expectations, responsibilities and existing relationships.
This programme is intended to complement the traditional antenatal medical class and give parents a chance to meet other parents and develop a peer support network.
The course consists of four sessions where we give parents the opportunity to:
- Increase their understanding of their baby’s development
- Learn practical skills and supports to make the transition to parenthood easier
- Engage in activities that will encourage parents to bond with their baby before they are born
- Learn skills to manage stress both during and after pregnancy
- Focus on the 4th trimester with an emphasis on well-being in the postnatal period.
The programme, which has been supported by the HSE, is an evidence informed programme for parents during the final trimester of pregnancy.
The classes take place in Clondalkin and are FREE of Charge.
We are looking for mums:
- Gestation period of 28 – 32 weeks at the start of the course
- Willing to do the programme in a small group format
- Can attend all four sessions 3 consecutive Mondays from 6pm to 8pm
- Week 1 – 3 pre delivery, week 4 post delivery (Postnatal session date to be confirmed after completion of antenatal classes).
As part of the programme you will be asked to complete pre and post questionnaires to help us establish the benefits of the programme.
Places are strictly limited. If you are interested in taking part then please contact Mary from Blue Skies Initiative on firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email address,contact phone number and due date. We will contact you to run through the programme and outline all details.
Archways is an organisation that has been promoting and researching evidence based programmes for families for the past 10 years. This programme will be delivered by Mary McCarthy. Mary is a qualified midwife with many years of supporting vulnerable families in the community.